By now you should be aware that BRCC classes will continue on March 30th after Spring Break. The method of delivery will change as almost every course will be done using Canvas. We are committed to helping you complete the spring semester in this way and are providing this handy guide to make that as easy as possible. If you are an experienced Canvas user, some of this may be redundant. For those of you less experienced with Canvas, rest assured that BRCC is here to help.
Let’s get started. Everything you need begins with Canvas so you should log in using your LOLA username and password.
- Content Support - Your instructor will be providing materials to you through Canvas. These materials may include video lectures, reading materials, live discussions, etc.
- Technical Support - here is a list of the various technical resources available.
- Canvas support - Canvas support is available 24/7. They are available via telephone or chat. To get started, you simply need to click on the Help button in Canvas (bottom left).
- BRCC email - BRCC's IT HelpDesk will be available from 7 am to 7 pm Monday through Friday via email (email@example.com) or phone (225.216.8448)
- Tutoring Support - Online tutoring support is available at no charge to you. Get started
by clicking on the Smarthinking link in the left column of your Canvas page. The Academic
Learning Center will also be providing free tutoring via Canvas. ALC Tutors should
appear in your courses list.
So what should you be doing now in preparation for the March 30 online kickoff?
- For now, use this temporary break to take care of your family and work responsibilities.
- Begin to familiarize yourself with Canvas. There are a number of helpful videos on
the Canavs student page which you can find in your list of courses..
On March 30th when most classes resume online:
- Log in to Canvas – the link is on the BRCC webpage at the top. It is right next to LOLA, where you log in to schedule classes. The login and password you use for Canvas is the same as the ones you use to login to LOLA. This should become a daily occurrence for you.
- Click on Courses and you should see the courses you are currently enrolled in. Click on the link for each one of your courses to familiarize yourself with the various areas that contain the information you need. Your instructor will use the Announcements link to share new information. They will also use the Modules and Assignments links to post your coursework assignments, readings, videos, and other forms of learning experiences. Discussions will show you any online conversations related to that course. Quizzes, Grades, and Attendance are self-explanatory.
- You should send any questions you have about your individual classes to your instructor by using the Inbox link in the far left column.
If you lack the necessary resources (internet, smart phone, tablet, or laptop) to complete coursework at this time, please let your instructor know as soon as possible. You should have an email address for your instructor listed in your class syllabus. You can also find it on the BRCC website by clicking directory.
If you feel uncomfortable with the online method, reach out to your instructor for assistance and guidance. Together, we can be successful!
Vice Chancellor for Academic and Student Affairs