Dear BRCC Students and Employees:
As you have undoubtedly seen in media reports, the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19, commonly called coronavirus, continues to increase in several states, with 14 deaths in the United States thus far. I wanted to take a moment to update you about the college, and steps you can take to prevent the spread of the illness:
- While we are a college that does not have a COVID-19 identified case in our community, we can take preventative measures to ensure the health of the community.
- Remember that the same actions taken to prevent the spread of flu are also helpful in preventing any respiratory illness, including COVID-19.
- Ensure handwashing strategies include washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Appropriately cover coughs and sneezes with the elbow.
- Stay informed and prepared. Visit the following websites for information:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (https://www.cdc.gov/)
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (https://www.hhs.gov/)
- Office of Public Health – Louisiana Department of Health (http://ldh.la.gov/index.cfm/subhome/16)
Continue to stay abreast of the latest information and developments. For updates on the state’s response to the coronavirus situation, visit the Louisiana Department of Health website. Also, please review the attached Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), about COVID-19.
Additional information will be shared in a forthcoming email regarding the steps you should take if you exhibit any symptoms.
Thank you for your commitment to Baton Rouge Community College.
Willie E. Smith, Ed.D.