PSE is a two year program that runs through four semesters. Each group that starts will stay together as a cohort. Each cohort will occupy a time slot during the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Upon completion of PSE, graduates will receive a PSE Certificate of Employability with a specific concentration based on their career goals.
PSE industry partners are ARC of Baton Rouge, ARC of East Ascension, LRS, Families Helping Families, Gateway Transitions, State Independent Living Council, LSU-New Orleans, Capital Area Services (DHH), and East Baton Rouge Parish Schools.
Classes will be offered during the fall, spring and summer. Applications for the fall 2017 semester are now being accepted.
To be eligible to join a PSE cohort, the applicant must:
- Be between the ages 18 and 26 years of age
- Have completed a high school or learning resource program
- Have a documented diagnosis of a intellectual disability and/or autism
- Have basic safety awareness in an unsupervised setting
- Must express, verbally or in writing, a desire for paid employment
- Strong positive behavior conducive to a classroom or workplace setting
- Read at or above a fourth grade reading level, based on the TABE or equivalent
- Be able to commit to a two-year college certificate program and meet the requirements of the program
- Have experience in attending and participating in classes for up to 90 minutes at a time
- Be able to navigate a college campus independently and manage self-care
- Be able and willing to learn and participate in inclusive classroom and work settings
- Be able to follow the Baton Rouge Community College Student Standard of Conduct