What is dual enrollment?
Dual enrollment is a program that provides reasonable opportunities and mechanisms for appropriately qualified high school students to benefit from postsecondary education and training while enrolled in high school. High school students who enroll in BRCC’s dual enrollment courses can earn high school and college credit(s) simultaneously.
When high school students select BRCC as their dual enrollment partner, they officially begin their academic journey to successfully obtain a certificate and/or college degree.
What are the benefits?
The benefits are:
- Dual enrollment offers high school students an opportunity to complete college level courses while attending high school, which ultimately increases their probability of graduating college early.
- Dual enrollment courses prepare students for the rigorous college-level based learning before enrolling full time in college after high school graduation.
- Many of the dual enrollment courses offered are transferable to colleges/universities across the state.
Which courses can I take?
High school students can register for any course in which the prerequisites are met. BRCC does not limit high school students to any courses, as long as seating is available for the desired course. To learn more about course offerings, please speak with the student’s high school counselor or the Office of Dual Enrollment.
Am I eligible?
High school students wishing to enroll in general education courses must have a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative GPA. Each course has a specific set of prerequisites that may include ACT or placement test scores that must be met in order to qualify for enrollment.
In addition, any high school student wishing to enroll in academic courses must meet the minimum requirements set by the Louisiana Board of Regents. View the 2018-2019 Board of Regents Dual Enrollment Policy here. You can also view the Louisiana Department of Education Dual Enrollment Policy Guidance here.
How do I apply?
The steps to apply are as follows:
- Complete and print BRCC’s paper application
- Gather all materials needed to submit paper application and obtain all signatures needed on the application
- Submit application/materials to the Office of Dual Enrollment
- Complete the online application
For more information on BRCC’s dual enrollment program, click here.