Admission to the LPN-RN program is competitive. It is important to note that meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program.
Admission to the program is based on the following criteria:
1. Applicants must attain a GPA of 2.8 or higher and grade of “C” or better in the 27 credit hours of prerequisite courses listed below:
- MATH 1113 or 1213 College Algebra
- BIOL 2214 Anatomy and Physiology I (Includes a 3 credit hour lecture and 1 credit hour lab)
- BIOL 2224 Anatomy and Physiology II (Includes a 3 credit hour lecture and 1 credit hour lab)
- BIOL 2104 General Microbiology (Includes a 3 credit hour lecture and 1 credit hour lab)*
- ENGL 1013 English Composition I
- PSYC 2013 Introduction to Psychology
- PSYC 2113 Psychology of Development
- ARTS or Humanities elective*
*An additional prerequisite course has been added to the curriculum: BIOL 2104- General Microbiology. Fall 2019 applicants that are unable to complete this course by the fall 2019 application period are STILL ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. BIOL 2104 is a prerequisite requirement for NURS 2206.
* MUST be selected from “Approved Fine Arts and Humanities Courses” listed in the
BRCC College Catalog. One Fine Art and one Humanities course are required for Graduation.
2. Applicants must achieve a minimum score of 65% on the TEAS exam. The TEAS exam must be taken on the BRCC campus during specified times (scores from other sites are not admissible). Applicants will register for the exam during the application period provided below. A study guide from the publisher is available. One attempt is allowed per admission cycle. The admission exam score is valid for 3 years. If an applicant is not admitted during the initial application period, they will be allowed to retake the admission exam during the next application cycle. The most recent score will be used for admission. Students are limited to a total of two TEAS admission attempts.
3. Applicants must achieve a score of 850 or better on each nursing challenge exam.
- Nursing Fundamentals (NURS 1106) Challenge Exam
- Adult Nursing I (NURS 2106) Challenge Exam
4. Applicants must be a graduate from an approved LPN program and hold an unencumbered license as a practical nurse in the state of Louisiana.
The application for the LPN-RN program is only available in the fall semester . The application period for our next admission cycle is Monday, November 1, 2021 through Monday, November 29, 2021.
Special admission process for BRCC Practical Nursing (PN) graduates: The BRCC PN graduate may progress to the BRCC ASN program and receive credit for NURS 1106 Fundamentals of Nursing and NURS 2106 Adult Nursing I provided all the following stipulations are met. The BRCC PN graduate must:
- Be licensed as an LPN.
- Meet all ASN generic requirements including minimum score on the admission test and completion of pre-requisite courses.
- Enroll in the first NURS course within five semesters of PN graduation. (spring 2019 PN graduates must in enroll in first NURS course by fall 2021).
- Complete mandatory transition seminar immediately prior to initial NURS course.
- Demonstrate 2.8 GPA in BRCC PN Curriculum and ASN prerequisite courses.
Students interested in applying to our program are encouraged to do one of the virtual advising sessions. All group advising sessions this semester are virtual. Review the schedule below.