The Baton Rouge Community College, Port Allen site, 3233 Rosedale Road, Port Allen is now enrolling for several upcoming workforce training courses and certificate programs. Training programs, which run on varying schedules listed below, include Heavy Equipment, Mobile Crane Level I, Diesel Engine, Pipefitting Level I and Forklift Operating. Certificate programs, which begin on Aug. 21 and adhere to normal fall semester scheduling, are Pharmacy Technician and Welding.
“Based on data from national trade associations and plant groups such as the Greater Baton Rouge Industry Alliance (GBRIA) and Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC), the South Louisiana Corridor is facing a labor deficit of over 50,000 workers. These jobs are primarily found in the industrial sector and are projected through 2019. Positions in the electrical, diesel technicians’ instrumentation, welding, pipefitting and heavy equipment fields are among those that are high demand, high wage, high skill positions,” said Girard Melancon, PhD, BRCC’s Executive Director for Workforce Education.
Call (225) 342-5061 for more information. To enroll, call 1-866-217-9823 or visit MyBRCC.edu.
Training course schedules are:
- Heavy Equipment – Aug. 14 to Oct. 23, Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Diesel Engine – Aug. 15 to Jan. 27, Tuesday and Thursday 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Pipefitting Level I – Aug. 21 to Feb. 27, Monday and Wednesday 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Mobile Crane Level I – Sept. 6 to Feb. 28 – Wednesday & Thursday 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Forklift Operating – Sept. 12 to Sept. 14 6 p.m. to 9 p