Baton Rouge Community College

...Faculty and Staff Website

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Accounts Payable Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

E-mail Print PDF

Q. What is the status of invoice I1234567?
A. Accounts Payable can assist you with this request. You can contact us by phone at (225) 216-8602 or send us an email message to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it which includes: your Vendor Name; Vendor ID (usually your Tax-payer Identification Number); invoice number, amount of payment and the Baton Rouge Community College Purchase Order number, if known.

Q. I turned in my expense reimbursement on today, Wednesday, at approximately 1:30pm. How soon will the check be mailed?
A. If all of the required documentation is presented and everything is in order, payment will be disbursed the following week. All requests must be submitted to Accounts Payable, by noon, on Wednesdays to be reviewed for payment for the Thursday check run. It is the requestor’s responsibility to submit payment requests in a timely manner, at the minimum of seven business days before payment is required.

Q. What are some common delays in processing an invoice?
A. Some common delays are as follows:
1. The vendor utilized has not been established in our Accounting System, 
2. Insufficient documentation, such as approval, invoice, confirmation of receipt, or 
3. Invoice forwarded to incorrect address

Q. If I get an invoice in the mail, what do I do with it?
A. If you receive an invoice, whether it’s in the mail or from items picked up by your department, please send the invoice to the Office of Accounting and Finance immediately, with the Purchase Order number printed on it. For items picked up by the department, be sure someone in the department signs and dates the receipt/Invoice showing that the items were received/picked up.

To ensure that payments are made in a timely manner, all invoices should be directed to the following address and not to the individual/department:

Baton Rouge Community College
Attn: Accounts Payable
201 Community College Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

Q. Why is it necessary for me to sign receipts for purchases that I pick up or for services received?
A. The State requires that there be proper proof that merchandise or services were received prior to payment. For items delivered to Receiving, the original packing slip (Packing Slip Substitute Form) is forwarded to the Office of Accounting & Finance. However, on items that a department picks up themselves (i.e. Wal-Mart, Fast Signs, etc.) or for services performed by a vendor, it is necessary for someone in the department to sign off on the receipt as verification that the merchandise and/or services were received. In the event that a receipt or original job ticket is not available, a Packing Slip Substitute Form or Services Completed Form is acceptable.

Q. Why is it important to have the signature of the budget authority?
A. The budget authority takes responsibility that payment is accurate, allowable and appropriate.

Q. Can I use a signature stamp of the budget authority and then add my initials?
A. No. Only original signatures are accepted. No forgeries or stamps.

Q. What if either the claimant of the budget authority is out of town? Will a faxed copy be accepted?
A. Yes. Follow up by sending the document with original signatures when the claimant or budget authority returns. If someone has been appointed to act on behalf of the individual in their absence, they may approve the request by signing the budget heads signature with their initials next to the signature. 

Q. What do I do if I need to send copies with the check?
A. The original invoice will remain in Payables. Attach a copy of the document you want to go with the check to the Purchase Requisition and/or Authorization to Travel.

Q. What information is included on the check?
A. Vendor name, address, check date and payment amount. The check stub will identify the invoice number, date and amount of the respective invoices.

Q. What is the easiest way to search for a vendor?
A. Searching by Tax I.D. # is probably the easiest.

Q. I need to put a 'stop payment' on a check. What do I need to do? 
A. You can request a stop payment in person, via email or facsimile. Stop by the Office of Accounting and Finance and complete a Request for Stop Payment form. Alternatively, you may send us fax or an email message to: (225) 216-6995 or This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it with the following information:

1. payee's name, 
2. check number, 
3. check date, 
4. amount of the check, 
5. reason for the reissue, 
6. distribution instructions:
7. correct mailing address, if applicable, and 
8. special mailing instructions (e.g., Federal Express or Airborne Express account number)


The cost to Baton Rouge Community College to reissue is $15.00 and will be passed on to the vendor. Checks can be reissued only to the same vendor name and for the same amount as the original check. If a check has been made payable to the incorrect vendor name or for the wrong amount, the check will need to be cancelled and another payment voucher will need to be processed.

Q. I made a purchase on behalf of the college for materials and supplies and was charged sales tax. Is sales tax reimbursable by Baton Rouge Community College?
A. Taxes can be reimbursed to you. However, BRCC is a tax exempt entity. In the event that you need to make purchases on behalf of the college, please stop the Office of Accounting and Finance or Purchasing to obtain a copy of our Tax Exempt Certificate. The certificate must be presented to the vendor upon check-out.

Q. Can the office pay for a cake to celebrate the birth of a co-worker's baby?
A. No, That is considered personal.

Q. Our department wants to order pizza for a staff meeting. Can the department pay for it?
A. These types of expenses are looked at very closely and each invoice is reviewed carefully. Please reference State of Louisiana PPM 49 – Special Meals. Full text including who (attendees), what (business purpose/benefit to BRCC), when (timeframe), where (location of meeting), and why (justification for providing the meal) needs to be included in the request.

If you should have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Accounts Payable.
Baton Rouge Community College
Attn: Accounts Payable
201 Community College Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
(225) 216-8602 Phone
(225) 216-6994 Facsimile