Persons travelling on official business will provide themselves with sufficient funds for all travel expenses that cannot be covered by the corporate travel card. Advances of funds for travel shall only be made for airfare and registration fees.
For all instances in which an advance can be issued, please refer to the State of Travel Guide.
1. Complete an Authorization to Travel Form. The request should be made in the designated area on the form. The advance may include registration and airfare. Transportation (airline) will be processed on the Authorization to Travel, along with a copy of your itinerary.
2. Submit the Authorization to Travel to Accounts Payable at least seven to ten business days prior to the anticipated travel. If approved, the advance will be ready for pickup and signed for in the Bursar’s Office by the person receiving the advance. The pickup or deposit will be ready usually 2-3 days prior to the employee’s departure, upon email notification. The emails will be the only notification of such.
3. Upon return, forward an approved Travel Expense Account Form. Advances are due on the 1st of the month. A reminder notice will be sent by Accounts Payable to any employee with an outstanding travel advance stating that the Travel Expense Account Form must be submitted or the advance repaid immediately.
Example: If the person returns from their trip on the 16th of the month, the due date will be the 1st of the next month.
4. In the event that the Travel Expense Account Form has not been submitted by the fifth of the month, a second notice will be sent to the employee and their respective supervisor.
5. The reimbursement will be applied to the outstanding advance. If the reimbursement amount is greater than the advance, an audited copy of the Travel Expense Account Form and a payment will be issued for the difference. If the reimbursement is less than the advance, an audited copy of the Travel Expense Account Form and a letter will be sent to you via mail indicating such. The refund should be made payable to Baton Rouge Community College in the form of cash, check or money order.
Refer to PPM49 for additional information.