Free tutoring for individuals and small groups is provided for all BRCC students. Trained peer tutors and paraprofessionals are available to tutor specific subject areas and to assist students in developing effective learning strategies. Tutoring is designed to support and enhance your classroom learning.
If you find you do not have time to come to campus for tutoring, try sending your question to Smarthinking.
The Tutor Development Program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association's International Tutor Certification Program.
Who the tutors are
We recruit tutors from BRCC, LSU, and Southern University. To qualify, prospective tutors must have a 2.5 grade point average and a 3.0 average in the course or the subject matter they wish to tutor. Tutors attend weekly training sessions.
When to see a tutor
When you need some assistance with course content or with a particular assignment, you may wish to meet with a tutor to discuss the particular topic. A tutor can...
- help you clarify an assigment
- guide you in developing your ideas
- help you with writer's block
- guide you as you develop outlines for studying or writing
- suggest and demonstrate study strategies
- teach or provide practice with difficult concepts
- help you determine your learning style
- support your efforts.
What to bring to a tutoring session
Come to your session prepared and ready to participate actively. Bring with you...
- your text
- the course syllabus
- your class notes
- the assignment
- your questions
- an open mind
Some Do's and Don'ts
- Do prepare for the session
- Do come ready for active learning
- Don't worry if you don't "get it all" in one session
- Don't expect the tutor to have all the answers
- Don't expect a tutoring session to take the place of a class
RESPONSIBILITIES OF EVERY CLIENT
- BE HONEST WITH YOUR TUTOR. Tell her or him about your academic or study skill needs.
- BE WILLING TO WORK HARD TO IMPROVE YOUR SKILLS. Use the instruction and study tips that you receive from your tutor to improve your academic standing.
- REMEMBER TO BRING REQUIRED MATERIALS. For each tutoring session, you will need the complete assignment, syllabus, and textbook.
- PREPARE FOR YOUR TUTORING SESSION. Read class notes and complete as much of the assignment as possible.