- Counseling Services of BRCC
In Counseling Services, we promote the celebration of diversity and multiculturalism, as well as differences in age, ethnicity, gender, language, mental and physical ability, race, sexual orientation, social and economic status, spirituality and world view. You are afforded the freedom to explore, in confidence, any problems, feelings, or fears that are important to you. We adhere to the strict Ethical Code of Conduct established by the American Counseling Association. This means information discussed in counseling is strictly confidential and will not be released to anyone outside of Counseling Services without the client's written consent, and any limits to confidentiality will be discussed in detail.
In addition, Counseling Services offers mental health consultation and education for students, faculty, and staff throughout the academic year. Office hours vary, so please make an appointment.
Counseling Services provides:
- Crisis intervention.
- Short-term counseling for such matters as: anxiety, depression, loneliness, identity, stress management, time management, eating concerns, relationship concerns, grief and loss, family stress, sexual orientation, college-related transition, coping skills, developmental issues, self-esteem, and personal growth and development.
- Skills development for academic success, such as: time management, motivational skills, and reduction of performance-related anxiety (such as test anxiety).
- Support and brief counseling for students recovering from sexual assault and/or domestic violence.
- Assessment and referral to other campus resources and referral to community resources, particularly for students whose presenting concerns are beyond Counseling Services’ scope of practice.
- Counseling Services does not provide long-term intensive counseling and psychotherapy.
- Counseling Services does not provide treatment services for alcohol and drug use/abuse. Counselors will meet with students seeking such treatment for a brief time to provide support, assess the students’ needs, and assist them with referrals to off-campus resources.
- Counseling Services does not prescribe or monitor psychotropic or any other medications. At students’ request, counselors will make a referral to a community resource for medication evaluation.
- Students may be mandated for a counseling assessment by an external source; however, these students will be evaluated to discern personal motivation and goals for counseling; if none, students may be referred to other campus or community resources.
Please use our online referral form to request counseling services.