In collaboration with college faculty and staff, the ALC strives to identify and meet students’ needs and to provide services that will help students meet their educational goals.
Faculty can collaborate with ALC staff in the following ways:
- Announce services and hours
- Include information about the ALC in your course syllabi
- Invite an ALC staff member or a tutor give your class a brief presentation of services
- Refer students to the ALC using one of our referral forms
- Suggest that your students organize a study group and/or request a tutor-supported study group
- Direct students to ALC's web page
Collaborate with the ALC:
- Meet with tutors to give them helpful information about your approach to specific content areas.
- Conduct a subject-specific tutor training session with center staff that supports a specific discipline (Writing-specific, Math-specific, Science-specific, Foreign Language-specific) or specific subject (Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Trigonometry)
- Conduct a CRLA tutor training session in collaboration with ALC staff. (Sample topics: Cultural diversity, Communication skills, Active listening and paraphrasing, Verbal and nonverbal communication)
- Offer a subject-specific or other workshop for students such as (Stress relief, Test anxiety,Study skills (specific area), Organize and lead group study sessions in the ALC, Providesubject-specific review sessions for students)
- Be a guest speaker at one of our tutor training sessions
- Place supplemental handouts, materials, or assignments for your classes in the ALC.
- Meet with ALC staff to explore and create alternative learning activities for your course.
- Refer potential tutors and student workers to the ALC
- Collaborate with staff to host ALC-sponsored special events
- Volunteer as a Conversation Partner (ALC’s Conversation Partners Program)
- Collaborate with staff to host an English, Spanish, or French conversation table for students in the ALC
- Serve on the new ALC Advisory Board (6 meetings/year)
- Request a brief classroom-based workshop on strategies tailored to your needs and your course
- Ask ALC staff how you can incorporate ALC services into your curriculum and syllabi