WHO HAS AUTHORITY TO PURCHASE?
- Budget managers that purchase with a procurement card (LaCarte VISA credit card) up to a predetermined dollar limit, provided funds for the purchase are available in an assigned budget. There is no preapproval needed.
- Non-budget managers that purchase with a procurement card up to a predetermined dollar limit and has obtained an approved paper requisition, email, or memo.
- The Purchasing Department by approved requisitions.
WHAT IS A PURCHASE REQUISITION?
- A purchase requisition is a “request to purchase” document that contains the quantity and description of goods or services needed, a purpose for the need, delivery date desired, an account code, and approvals.
- Departments can use a paper or electronic requisitions.
WHEN DO I USE A PAPER VS ELECTRONIC REQUISITION?
- A paper requisition is to be used when BRCC directly pays by a check. A purchase order will not be produced. This is commonly called a direct pay requisition. Direct pay requisitions would include:
- Reimbursements to an employee who has had approved out of pocket non-travel expenses.
- When a vendor does not accept a purchase order and a LaCarte card is not used. (Wal-Mart, Sam’s, etc)
- Certain fees to other governmental agencies.
- For a change order to an existing purchase order.
- An electronic requisition form is used for all purchases of supplies, materials, equipment and operating services when a LaCarte Card or paper requisition is not utilized. Each department has designated employees that have Banner security access to input electronic requisitions. Electronic requisitions are routed electronically by organization number for approval. An approved purchase requisition will be sourced by the Purchasing Department. After sourcing the purchase requisition will be assigned to a purchase order. The purchase order will be sent to the vendor for processing and delivery to BRCC Receiving Department.
WHERE CAN I GET A PAPER REQUISITION FORM?
- Requisition forms are available at the Purchasing Department. An Excel form is available on the BRCC Purchasing website.
HOW CAN I GET A LACARTE CARD?
- Consult with your supervisor and make a request with the Office of Accounting and Finance.
WHEN DOES AN ITEM HAVE TO BE BID?
- $1 to $5,000 do not require a bid. Do not split purchases to circumvent the bid process.
- $5,001 to $15,000 requires three (3) or more bona fide, qualified vendors.
- $15,001 to $25,000 requires five (5) or more bona fide, qualified vendors and shall be performed by the Purchasing Department.
- $25,001 and greater must be advertised in the newspaper and posted on the State of Louisiana Procurement and Contract Network and shall be performed by the Purchasing Department.
WHO APPROVES REQUISTIONS?
- <= $5,000 requires Budget Manager approval.
- > $5,000 requires Budget Manager and associated Vice Chancellor approval, and Vice Chancellor of Finance for all but grants.
- I.T. capital outlay related items require approval by the Chief Information Officer.