- Automotive Technology
To be eligible for admission to the ATP, the applicant must first be admitted to Baton Rouge Community College (BRCC). The ATP application and all supporting documents must be received by the designated deadlines. Applicants will not be considered for admittance to the Automotive Technology Program until all required documents have been submitted and the applicant’s file is complete. The copy of all supporting documents should be retained by the applicant as the ATP will not return supporting documents. Admission to the Automotive Technology Program is competitive and will be based on the following criteria:
Automotive Technology Program Admissions Requirements (Pending SACSCOC Approval)
- Minimum age 18.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Pass a drug and criminal background check.
- Math and Writing Proficiency as determined by the chart found on page 3.
To receive the Associate of Applied Science degree, students must:
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better in all credit hours that are to be used towards the degree.
- Earn a “C” or better in ENGL 101 and in MATH 101/110/130.
- Earn a “C” or better in all MVSB courses* (1003, 1604, 1703) and AUTO courses * (1103, 1204, 1304, 1404, 1504, 1614, 1803, and 1815) courses. *(MVSB = Motor Vehicle Service Basics; AUTO = Automotive)
- Earn an “S” (Satisfactory) in AUTO 1151, 1251, 1351, and 1451.
It is important to note that simply meeting requirements for admission to the Automotive Technology Program does not guarantee admission as class size is limited.
The competencies in the Automotive Technology Program are directly correlated with the knowledge required to prepare an individual for the certification test given by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence(ASE). The content is organized into competency-based courses of instruction that specify occupational competencies the individual must successfully complete according to the priorities for tasks established by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF).