Title: Chief Human Resources Officer
Reports to: Chancellor
The Chief Human Resources Officer shall be appointed by the Chancellor. This position shall be responsible for directing Human Resources activities and services in a collaborative fashion with other college departments and outside agencies. The Chief Human Resources Officer will advise and counsel senior and executive administration on Human Resources policy and procedures, legal requirements and the impact of related legislation on the College and employees. The Chief Human Resources Officer will also set and provide a high standard of vision, leadership and direction for the College’s human resources efforts including but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, training, and retention of excellent and diverse employees, evaluation of employees, position control and office management. This position will support all Baton Rouge Community Colleges sites.
- A master’s degree in Human Resources or related field, or a Law Degree; along with 5 years of administrative/ supervisory level human resources experience preferably in higher education.
Substitution for Education Requirement:
- A baccalaureate degree in Human Resources or related field plus two years’ professional level human resources experience may substitute for the master’s degree requirement although a master’s degree is preferred.
Licenses/Certifications Required: Must hold an accepted Human Resources Professional Certificate or License.
Preferred Certification: Certification by the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) as a Professional in Human Resources (PHR) is required. Certification by SHRM as a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) is desired.
Duties and Responsibilities: The duties of the Chief Human Resources Officer shall include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for the administration and supervision of all human resource activities, including, but not limited to employment, classification and pay, equal employment opportunity, Family and Medical Leave, Affordable Care Act, affirmative action, employee benefits, payroll, training, and employee relations.
- Advises college management regarding alternative courses of action available to address staffing needs.
- Interprets Civil Service and LCTCS rules and regulations and departmental policies and procedures regarding personnel actions for classified and unclassified employees and applicants.
- Advises management and supervisors of best method of filling vacancies.
- Represents the college at Civil Service hearings and other meetings.
- Counsels employees, supervisors, and management in the grievance and disciplinary process.
- Reviews program operations and determines and participates in the development of new or revised college policies and procedures. Establishes and directs the implementation of such policies.
- Participates in strategic planning for the college and develops and implements a strategic plan for the human resource department to align with the College plan.
- Monitors the preparation and timely implementation of faculty contracts.
- Ensures that management maintains appropriate hiring practices. Ensures supervisors are selecting and/or rejecting applicants in conformance with legal requirements; particularly with EEO guidelines and departmental policy.
- Conducts investigations, reports and recommends corrective action when appropriate regarding dissemination and harassment compliance/matters.
- Coordinates and oversees the interactive process regarding accommodations requested under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Directs the development, maintenance, and monitoring of the performance planning and evaluation process. Works with management to ensure that performance standards are defined in such a way as to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Directs the development and delivery of college training programs and participates in the development and implementation of a supervisory training programs.
- Develops and implements personnel/HR policies and procedures.
- Evaluates reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Responsible for supporting and traveling to all BRCC campuses.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chancellor.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in developing and implementing policies and procedures in the human resources area and familiarity with automated human resource management systems.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws as well as a working knowledge of Louisiana State Department of Civil Service rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others at all levels of the organization.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in handling information in a sensitive, confidential and professional manner.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Advanced working knowledge and proficiency with a variety of multiple electronic devices and software/database applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
- Experience in working with large scale Human Resources and Payroll Information Technology Systems.
- Preference will be given to candidates with Banner experience and experience in higher education and/or state government.
- A valid Louisiana Driver’s License
- Proof of motor vehicle insurance
In accordance with LCTCS Policy #6:036, a criminal history check will be conducted on all new hires. LCTCS participates in the federal E-Verify system for identification and employment eligibility purposes.
Compensation will be commensurate with education and work experience.
Applicants for this position should submit 1) a cover letter, 2) resume and 3) the names and contact information of three work-related references to:
LCTCS Director of Human Resources
Louisiana Community and Technical College System
265 S. Foster Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.